This Policy applies to residents outside of the United States and the European Union.
“Personal information” has the same meaning as set forth in Republic Act 10173 (Data Privacy Act of 2012) and includes information that identifies you or could reasonably be used to identify you and which is submitted to and/or collected by Abbott a:care websites and maintained by Abbott in an accessible form. Examples of personal information include your name, your postal address and your telephone number.
What information does Abbott collect online?
Abbott collects information in a few different ways:
- Personal Information You Submit or Give Us Permission to Obtain. Abbott collects personal information that you enter into data fields on Abbott a:care websites. For example, you may submit your name, postal address, e-mail address, and/or other information in order to receive information about various subjects, register for Abbott programs or Abbott a:care programs, contact Abbott customer service, or respond to Abbott surveys. If you’re accessing Abbott a:care websites on your mobile device, you may also choose to provide us with location data. To protect your privacy, you should not provide Abbott with any information that is not specifically requested.
- Log data. When you use Abbott a:care websites, our servers automatically record information (“log data”), including information that your browser sends whenever you visit an Abbott a:care websites or your mobile app sends when you’re using it. This log data may include information such as your Internet Protocol address, the address of the webpages you visited that had Abbott a:care websites features, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used Abbott a:care websites, and cookie data.
- Social Media Plugins and Data. In addition, Abbott a:care websites may use social media plugins (e.g., the Facebook "Like" button, '"Share to Twitter"' button) to enable you to easily share information with others. When you visit Abbott a:care websites, the operator of the social plugin can place a cookie on your computer, enabling that operator to recognize individuals who have previously visited our Abbott a:care websites. If you are logged into the social media website (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Google+) while browsing on Abbott a:care websites, the social plugins allow that social media website to receive information that you have visited Abbott a:care websites. The social plugins also allow the social media website to share information about your activities on Abbott a:care websites with other users of their social media website. For example, Facebook Social Plugins allows Facebook to show your Likes and comments on our pages to your Facebook friends. Facebook Social Plugins also may allow you to see your friends' Facebook activity on Abbott a:care websites. Abbott does not control any of the content from the social media plugins. For more information about social plugins from other social media websites you should refer to those sites' privacy and data sharing statements.
- Device information. In addition to log data, we may also collect information about the device you’re using to access Abbott a:care websites, including what type of device it is, what operating system you’re using, device settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you’re using and its settings. For example, different types of information are available depending on whether you’re using a Mac or a PC, or an iPhone or an Android phone. To learn more about what information your device may make available to us, please also check the policies of your device manufacturer or software provider.
- Information Provided by Abbott Partners. Our advertising vendors and other partners may share with Abbott the information they collect. For example, our advertising vendors may share information with us regarding Abbott ads on a:care websites or applications where such ads run to measure and/or improve those ads. Abbott may receive this information, which may include information like whether clicks on ads led to purchases or a list of criteria to use in targeting ads.
In what circumstances might Abbott use personal information?
Abbott will use the personal information you provide through Abbott a:care websites to respond to your questions and to provide you with efficient customer service.
Abbott may also use information collected from you through your use of Abbott a:care websites for other legitimate business purposes, such as to:
- Provide our a:care products and services to you and make them better, and to develop new a:care products and services.
- Send you notices and information regarding Abbott’s a:care products or services, including notifying you about special promotions.
- Invite you to participate in surveys about our a:care products or services.
- Furnish and maintain Abbott a:care websites.
- Protect Abbott and our users.
- Secure our network and Abbott a:care websites.
Abbott may also use information collected from you or about you to offer you customized content, including to:
- Recognize new or past visitors to Abbott a:care websites.
- Remember your personal preferences.
- Better understand the interests of our customers and visitors to Abbott a:care websites.
- Conduct research and analyze the use of our Abbott a:care websites, products and services.
In addition, some of our applications and mobile-optimized sites may have location-based features. To deliver these features, we may collect and use location data provided by your mobile device if you give us permission. For example, we may offer shopping features that allow you to get information about local merchants. Location information will be collected solely to deliver the requested feature, and it will not be further retained or stored by Abbott. By using such applications, you consent to the collection and use of your mobile device location data for purposes of delivering these location-based features.
Abbott uses common tools, such as cookies and similar technologies (discussed in the “What information does Abbott collect online?” section above), to collect information about users when they access Abbott a:care websites for purposes of enhancing their online experience and delivering more meaningful advertisements. Like many companies, Abbott may also utilize third party advertising vendors and other partners to collect this information.
One way in which we deliver more meaningful advertisements is through a common form of online advertising known as “retargeting” or “remarketing.” Retargeting works by serving ads on one site based on an individual’s online activities on a different, unrelated site. For example, if you look at a:care services on an Abbott a:care website, you may later see an advertisement for similar services when you visit third party sites. To do this, Abbott or its advertising vendors may use a device ID, cookie, or similar technology placed by Abbott or the advertising vendor when you visit Abbott a:care websites or third party websites or apps. The placing of these cookies or other technologies on your device may enable you to be identified across multiple websites and you should consult the privacy policies of our advertising vendors to understand how they collect and use your data.
Your ability to control the use of tracking tools such as cookies and to opt-out of retargeting activities is described in the “What choices do I have about how Abbott collects and uses information about me?” section below.
Does Abbott consolidate personal information?
Abbott may combine the personal information that you provide to us on one Abbott a:care website/application with the personal information provided by you on other Abbott a:care website/application. Abbott may also combine personal information that you provide to us online with our offline records as well as records provided by third parties. We use this consolidated information to help us better design Abbott a:care websites and Abbott a:care products and services, to communicate information to you, to enhance our marketing and research activities, and to facilitate the other business functions described in the “In what circumstances might Abbott use information?” section above.
What choices do I have about how Abbott collects and uses information about me?
You may always limit the amount and type of personal information that Abbott receives about you by choosing not to enter any personal information into forms or data fields on Abbott a:care websites. Some of our online services can only be provided to you if you provide us with appropriate personal information. Other parts of Abbott a:care websites may ask whether you wish to opt out or opt into our contact lists for offers, promotions and additional services that may be of interest to you.
You may also be provided with preference questions or preference boxes allowing you to indicate that you do not want Abbott Nutrition websites to use tracking technologies, such as cookies, to “remember” your information on return visits, such as user IDs or mailing addresses. In addition, you can control the use of tracking tools and limit retargeting activities as follows:
- Controlling Tracking Tools. Most web browsers have an option for turning off the cookie feature, which will prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, as well as (depending on the sophistication of your browser software) allowing you to decide on acceptance of each new cookie in a variety of ways. Get more information about cookies . You can also control flash cookies which we may use on certain Abbott a:care websites from time to time. Why? Because flash cookies cannot be controlled through your browser settings.
- Opting-Out of Retargeting Activities. The Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising program provides consumers with the ability to opt-out of having their online behavior recorded and used for advertising purposes. click here to opt out of having your online behavior collected for advertising purposes and receiving behavioral advertisements from our advertising partners, including retargeting advertisements. Choices you make are both browser and device-specific. Also, certain versions of the iOS operating system permit you to “Limit Ad Tracking” in the system settings, and certain versions of the Android operating system allow you to “Opt out of Interest-Based Ads” in the system settings. Options you select are browser and device specific.
- Abbott Do Not Track Policy.Abbott honors the AdChoice Do Not Track (“DNT”) signals. Please be aware that limiting the ability of websites to set cookies, however, may worsen your overall user experience, and in some cases the sites will not work properly without cookies, local storage and similar technologies.
Who will have access to personal information about me?
Personal information can be accessed by a restricted number of Abbott employees, by certain companies with which Abbott may conduct joint programs, and by individuals and entities with whom Abbott contracts to carry out business activities for Abbott. We train our employees about the importance of privacy and how to handle and manage customer data appropriately and securely. Also, it is Abbott’s practice to notify you if you are registering for a program which is conducted in conjunction with another company that may require access to your personal information. In addition, Abbott’s practice is to require its contractors to keep your personal information confidential and to use personal information only to perform functions for Abbott.
Does Abbott share personal information with third parties?
As a general rule, Abbott does not share your personal information with third parties, unless it is necessary to conduct a joint program or to carry out a program or activity through a contractor or specified third parties service providers. Where required by law, Abbott will not disclose your personal information to third parties for those third parties’ marketing purposes, unless you have been provided with an opportunity to opt into or opt out of this disclosure. However, if Abbott sells one of its product lines or divisions, your personal information may be transferred to the buyer so that the buyer can continue to provide you with information and services. If Abbott provides your personal information to individuals and entities which assist us with our business activities, it is Abbott’s practice to require those individuals and entities to keep your personal information confidential and to use your personal information only to perform functions for Abbott. Abbott reserves the right to disclose your personal information to respond to authorized information requests from government authorities, to address national security situations, or when otherwise required by applicable law.
How does Abbott secure personal information?
How does Abbott protect the privacy of children?
Abbott does not knowingly collect or use any personal information from children (we define “children” as minors younger than 13) on Abbott a:care websites. We do not knowingly allow children to order a:care services or products, communicate with us, or use any of our online a:care services. If you are a parent and become aware that your child has provided us with information, please contact us using one of the methods specified below, and we will work with you to address this issue.
How may I correct personal information or delete it from current customer records?
You may request to remove your personal information from our records or to amend your personal information. Please notify us of your wishes by contacting us in one of the ways specified below. For our record keeping purposes, we will retain certain personal information you submit in conjunction with commercial transactions.
How can I contact Abbott?
If you have questions about the use, amendment, or deletion of personal information that you have provided to us, or if you would like to opt out of future communications from the Abbott a:care websites or a particular Abbott a:care program, please contact us by clicking on the “Contact Us” link on the Abbott a:care websites you are visiting or by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you may send a letter to the following address:
Attention: Public Affairs, Department 383
100 Abbott Park Road
Abbott Park, IL 60064-6048
In all communications to Abbott, please include the email address used for registration (if applicable), the Abbott a:care website address or the specific Abbott a:care program to which you provided personal information, and a detailed explanation of your request. If you would like to delete or amend your personal information and are contacting us by email, please put “Deletion Request” or “Amendment Request”, as applicable, in the subject line of the e-mail. We will do our best to respond to all reasonable requests in a timely manner.
How will I know whether Abbott has updated this policy?